I'm asking this because of the closing of this question asking how to plot wind barbs in python. The reception from the community seems to be split. One one hand it was upvoted to +7, and on the other hand it was closed. Even the reviews were a going both ways.
Furthermore, we've been inconsistent in our treatment of these questions.
- How can I plot a Skew-T log-P diagram?
- What is "focus point" in WRF-plots grid box? (python code)
- How to plot lat-lon-rainfall in MATLAB?
- How to read a NetCDF4 file in Matlab?
- Available Matlab code to design Seismic Colored Inversion Operator?
A previous meta discussion suggests that we do want these kind of questions here. Has that standpoint changed?
I see comments from time to time saying "go post this on GIS.se" but I'm not really concerned with whether or not these kind of questions are on-topic there ("this Q is on topic somewhere else" is not a valid close reason). I want to get consensus if they are on-topic here.
Are questions like these on-topic here? Should the wind barb question be re-opened? Should the others be closed?